For this beautiful cake you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups Greek thick strained yoghurt.
- 1 cup caster sugar.
- 1/2 cup fresh unsalted butter at room temperature.
- 1 cup fresh cream 35% fat at room temperature.
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour sifted.
- 1/4 cup corn flour (corn starch)sifted.
- 5 eggs whole at room temperature.
- 1 Tbsp. zest of lemon.
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
- Unless your mould is non stick, butter and flour a 26 or 28 inch bunt cake mould (mould shown in photos is 28 inches non-stick). Add flake almonds in bottom of mold.
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- In a bowl sift together flour, corn flour, and baking soda. Set aside
- Separately, in the mixer bowl using paddle attachment, beat very well butter with sugar till mixture is light, fluffy and creamy.
- Slowly add the eggs one by one beating each egg well before adding the next. Scrape walls of bowl to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Using a spatula begin adding alternatively flour mixture, yoghurt, and cream, (starting with the dry component then add liquid and finishing with the dry) mix untill everything is well incorporated.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the cake batter.
- Bake for one hour at 177 C or until a wooden pick comes out clean. If not bake a little while longer.
- Take out from oven, let cool and um-mold.
This is a rich, and moist tea or coffee cake for breakfast or for the afternoon.