Our children have grown up with this cake. It is one of their favorite cakes and they insisted on having it on their birthday parties together with, of course, THE chocolate cake as their birthday cake. Therefore Maria is sharing a 30 year old recipe which has been used and re-used and by now all the kinks are out.
This cake will need:
Serves 12 pieces.
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flower.
- 2 tsp. baking soda.
- 1 tsp. salt.
- 2 tsp. cinnamon.
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar.
- 4 eggs whole.
- 3 cups grated carrots (320 gms - 3-4 carrots)
- 1 cup olive oil.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsly chopped nuts ( hazel and cashew nuts)
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) alone.
- Separately mix sugar, eggs, and oil till they are well blended. About half a minute with the blender.
- Add carrots and nuts mix again.
- Add the carrot and nut mixture to dry ingredients and blend by hand till everything, specially the flour is well incorporated.
- Pour in mold and bake for one hour at 190 degrees Centigrade.
- You can open the oven only when the time is up. Check if the cake is ready by inserting a shish kebab wooden skewer in the center. Normally it should come out dry.
For the frosting: Use a double boiler (bain-marie)
- 250 gms or 1 cup Phili or any cream cheese.
- 65 gms icing sugar (1/2 cup).
- 30 gms fresh butter (2 Tbsp.).
- 30 gms or 2 Tbsp. of Pineapple jelly powder. Run the jelly through your pulverizer to pulverize the jelly crystals.
N.B. The addition of the pineapple jelly powder gives the frosting that extra tang.
- Mix the above in a double boiler until smooth. Let cool to spreading consistency.
Tip: If you wish more frosting make a double dose to coat the cake completely.
- Wait until the cake is completely cold before you frost.
Boy this is yummy!!