Sometimes a plain beetroot salad works just fine with certain foods. The hot and sweet beets come to equalize the salty capers all being engulfed by the acidity of the lemon. Serving a pounded thin slice of breast of turkey topped with a wine, dill, caper, butter sauce is exquisite....and all served over baby penne rigate which have soaked in the general taste of everything!!... Wow!!
To make a turkey piccata you will need:
Serves 4 - 6
- 800 gr breast of turkey sliced thin and pounded even thinner to produce 6 slices.
- 3 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan.
- 1/3 cup flour.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter for the sauce.
- ½ cup dry white wine.
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- ¼ cup capers salt well washed off.
- ¼ cup thinly chopped dill.
- 250 gr penne rigate.
- 300 gr beetroot thinly sliced for the salad.
- 1 small Habanero chili very thinly sliced.
- 2 cloves of garlic grated.
- Some garlic oil for the beet salad.
- Mix Parmesan, flour, salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. of butter with the oil and heat.
- Wet the turkey slices with water and coat each slice with the parmesan/flour/salt/pepper mixture.
- Maintain a medium-low heat to fry the slices of turkey to a deep golden color.
- When all the slices are well fried on both sides, cover with aluminum foil and keep warm in the oven until the sauce is prepared.
- Keeping the same heat, add to the already existing remains of the frying, wine and capers, lemon juice, and stir till all the alcohol is evaporated.
- Add the second 2 Tbsp. of butter to "tie" (thicken) the sauce.
- In the meantime boil and cook the baby penne rigate 6 minutes, drain.
- Serve penne in a large platter as a base, and top with some sauce.
- Top the penne with the turkey.
- Top turkey with sauce and capers.
- Sprinkle turkey and penne with dill and serve.
For the Beetroot Salad:
- Slice beets thinly with a mandoline.
- Add and mix the habanero chili slices.
- Add and mix the garlic.
- Add some garlic oil.
- Mix and cover with plastic wrap till time to serve.