Spinach with rice is a very common everyday dish for Greeks. It is cheap, quick, healthy and can be eaten hot or cold with feta and/or olives on the side.
This time I would like to share with you another way to prepare this dish which is along the same lines as the first one but more elaborate.
You will therefore need:
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 kg of frozen spinach thawed and liquids kept.
- 1 big onion sliced as you can see in the photo.
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- 1 bunch fresh dill cut very small.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup rice.
- 2 cups boiling water.
- 2 cups ready tomato sauce (this is a perfect way to use up any left over sauce you have from before).If you don't have any ready made sauce, then use 2 cups grated tomato with liquids.
- ½ chili thinly sliced.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat oil on high heat in a deep wide sauce pan.
- Stir fry first the onion, the garlic then the dill in that order.
- When you get that beautiful mixture of aromas add the spinach and stir fry on high heat.
- Add tomato sauce, mix and stir.
- Make little wells in the spinach mixture and add the rice in groups.
- Pour the 2 cups of boiling water, salt, pepper and chili. Do not mix.
- Cover, lower heat to mimimum possible, and let cook for 30 minutes.
- After time is up, lift cover and check if the rice is cooked, and there are no liquids.
- At that point cover, turn off heat and keep covered till it is time to eat.
- The heat will help the rice cook fully by absorbing the extra liquids.
Enjoy this authentic Greek dish with feta and olives on the side and straight ouzo on the rocks.