Maria's Marvelous Birthday Mini Rolls... Her concoction
Maria's second delicious dish was also part of my festive birthday dinner party. This is the first birthday in a long time that I am not laboring in the kitchen to produce something special....and I really enjoyed it!
To make these mini rolls Maria used the following:
- 1 kg of thinly sliced beef marinated in olive oil, pepper, and melted 52% cocoa content chocolate for two hours.
- 2 sweet red peppers cut open and grilled till tender cut julienne.
- 1 Tbsp. dried flower of oregano (which is considered the best part of the plant)
- ¼ cup olive oil.
- ¼ cup hot water if needed.
- ½ cup dry red wine.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Around 25 sprigs of parsley ( equal to the number of pieces of beef on hand).
- Cut beef into 5cm x 8cm rectangular pieces.
- Place two strips of grilled sweet pepper and roll twice.
- Tie roll with one parsley sprig. Parsley is malleable and easy to handle plus it gives the extra flavor, design, and color.
- Heat oil and saute the rolls till brown on all sides.
- Pour the red wine, wait for the alcohol to evaporate, meanwhile add freshly ground green and black pepper, cover and simmer for ½ hour.
- Check for juices after fifteen minutes. Add hot water if needed.
- Add oregano and cover for another fifteen minutes.
- Turn off heat, keep covered till time to serve.
Note from Maria:
- The idea is to obtain a nicely thickened sauce so maybe the hot water will not be needed.
- Add some remaining grilled sweet peppers into the sauce while cooking.