Photos And Preparation By Maria, The Sweets Specialist.
For this walnut cake you will need:
- 1½ cups of walnuts passed through the blender pulsing four to five times.
- 1 cup light brown sugar.
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs.
- 1½ tsp. baking powder.
- 2 tsp. powdered cinnamon.
- ¼ tsp. powdered cloves.
For the syrup:
- 1½ cups of light brown sugar.
- 2 cups water.
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper.
- Mix your eggs and sugar on high speed for 20 minutes minimum till you get a creamy, off white color.
- Once your egg mix is ready and fluffy, start adding the bread crumbs mixture without deflating the egg mixture.
- Once all the bread crumbs are incorporated, start adding slowly your finely chopped nuts without deflating the egg mixture.
- The cake is ready when you stick a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- In the meantime combine sugar, water, lemon juice and boil till the temperature goes to 105 degrees C. You will see that the thermometer arrive to 100 quite easily then takes time to rise further.
- Add your cayenne pepper, stir and ladle boiling as it is, slowly, to the hot cake. If syrup is added too quickly, your cake might deflate.
- Wait until the cake is completely cold to reverse on a platter.
- Garnish with thin strips of lemon zest.
Enjoy with no regret.