Eggplant and Skorkalia is a very typical Greek Meze (hors d'oeuvre). You can have it at the beach ouzo, at home with a salad: a light snack for lunch.
To make this meze you need :
- 1 kg shiny black long eggplant sliced length wise or crosswise.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Pastry brush.
For the skordalia:
- 1 loaf of soft white bread keeping the white inside and cutting out the outside.
- 5 cloves of garlic.
- ½ cup good extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/8 cup cider vinegar.
- Salt to taste ( skorkalia must not be salty) or optional.
Method for the skordalia:
- Wet the bread under the tap and squeeze most of the water out. It must be soft and mushy.
- Put it in the blending bowl.
- Add the garlic.
- Give the whole three to four pulses then blend till all the garlic has been incorporated.
- Start adding the oil little at a time and blend looking at the consistency of the mixture. It must end up creamy and thick. Add all the oil, and blend.
- Taste, you must not distinguish the taste of the oil. Just the garlic and the consistency of the creamy mixture.
- Add the vinegar and blend till you get this marvelous thick texture of skorkalia which is like taramosalata.
- Refrigerate till it is time to serve.
Now for the eggplant:
- Heat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Lay your eggplant slices on a cookie sheet and brush little oil over them.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until they are soft.
- Take out from oven, let cool then refrigerate.
- Serve with the skordalia and a salad with lots of tomatoes and cucumbers.
CAUTION for SKORDALIA:
- Do not eat at night.
- Make sure you are not driving after you eat it. Plan for a long siesta. Take lots of water with you to bed.
- Make sure you are not going on a date that night.
- Garlic is very good for lowering the blood pressure.
Enjoy this special Meze.