|Eggplant. In Greek Called: F l á s k e s|
Courtesy of Goodgle
You already know the health benefits of eggplant, now you only need to see how a Greek home would cook them for an everyday meal. (Basically my way).
You will need:
Serves 4 - 6
- 4 big eggplants.
- 70 gms. of tomato paste.
- 200 gms. grated tomatlo in juice.
- 1 bouillon cube braised beef.
- 1 big onion chopped.
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped.
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped.
- 1 hot green chili sliced.
- Wash and omit stems from the 4 eggplants.
- Peel in stripes as in photo.
- Cut in thick slices and then each slice in four.
- Heat enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of a non stick deep sauce pan with cover.
- When oil starts to smoke add the eggplant pieces and stir fry till they have all changed color and are slightly soft to the touch about 3 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, chili, and continue to stir fry on high heat for another 2 minutes. By now eggplant has let out its juices.
- Add tomato and bouillon cube. Stir, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggplant is completely cooked and soft.
- Add Salt to taste.
Tip: I don't fry the onion and the garlic in the hot oil at the beginning because the dish would be difficult to digest. I sort of let it "boil" with the juices and the tomato afterwards.