|Elongated Pear Shaped Eggplant|
|The Moussaka |
For a pan 30 cms x 36 cm (ID = internal dimension) x 5 cms deep you need:
Serves 6 as a main dish with a salad on the side or 10 as a starter.
For the eggplant:
- 2 kg of those elongated shiny black eggplant cut in 1 cms. slices lengthwise baked for 1 hour at 175 degrees Centigrade.
Note: since you would prefer to eat a lighter version of the Moussaka, the eggplant is baked dry on baking paper with some olive oil brushed on the surface instead of deep frying it as in the past when high cholesterol was not an issue.
For the potatoes:
- Parboil 2 kg of potatoes pealed and cut in 1 cms. slices.
|Eggplant Cut Lengthwise|
Surface Brushed With Olive Oil
|Parboiled Potatoes Sliced As Shown|
For the meat sauce:
|Meat Sauce Simmering To Reduce Juices And Cook.|
The Haze You See In The Photo Is From The Co
For the bechamel sauce:
- Melt 100 gms of butter over medium heat and add 100 gms of flour. Make a roux, let the flour cook a few seconds, then add 1.25 liter of milk slowly. Season with salt, a few turns of the nutmeg mill, white pepper.
- Brush the bottom and sides of the pan with olive oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with one layer of cooked eggplant.
- Cover the eggplant with half of the grated cheese
- Cover the grated cheese with meat sauce.
|Eggplant Covering Potatoes|
Sprinkled With Any Soft Cheese.
|Meat Sauce Covering Eggplant|
- Cover the meat sauce with the rest of the eggplant.
- Cover the eggplant with the rest of the cheese.
|Bechamel Sauce Already In Place|
- Sprinkle with some freshly ground pepper, spread a few little knobs of butter on the bechamel.
Bake for 1 hour in a preheated to maximum heat oven or till béchamel surface takes a nice color, and the delicious aroma of Moussaka fills the air.
|Final Result !!|
Ready To Eat
After all the above I guess you are now ready to go to crash in bed!!
P.S. Let me not scare you off making a Moussaka. There was a bit more of work to be done because I had to take pictures, write the recipoe, cook the Moussaka, and cook lunch (I usually cook lunch on weekends).