Falafel........Gaining Territory As A Snack
|Foul (Fool) Beans|
Falafel are definitely vegetarian. A Middle Eastern snack made of either dried chick pease, dried Foul (pronounced fool) a kind of Egyptian bean or a mixture of both. Egyptians make them out
of foul while in Lebanon and the rest of the Middle East make them from chick peas or half and half.
Basically the outcome is the same: they look like small fried balls or patties eaten either dipped in Tahini or four or five of them crushed in a flat Shami bread with salad, cayenne and tahini.
|Courtesy Of Wikipedia|
Foul or chickpeas, are soaked overnight, not boiled but ground in a food processor with lots of parsley, dried coriander, garlic, onion, cayenne pepper to desired heat , freshly ground cumin powder, one whole egg, tsp. of baking soda to render them fluffy.
- 500 gms of dry chick peas or special dry foul for falafel (they are peeled and split). Foul can be found in any Egyptian or Middle Eastern food store. Soak overnight.
- 1 big bunch of parsley.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion.
- 1 whole egg
- 3 Tbsp. of dry coriander.
- 1-2 Tbsp. of freshly ground cumin depending on taste.
- 1 tsp. of baking soda.
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- sesame seeds on a small plate to coat one side of patties, or to roll each ball in before frying.
- salt to taste.
- Lots of fresh frying oil.
- Big plate with kitchen paper to absorb the oil from frying.
- A frying thermometer.
|Release Falafel Into Oil|
|Pull Down To Fill|
- Use the instrument shown in the photo to make little patties, coat one side with sesame seed and fry. Or if you do not have this instrument, then use the palm of your hands to make the patties or the balls which you roll and cover over the sesame seed.
- Fry the falafel as you make them, in the very hot oil, for just a minute maximum on each side or until brown and crisp.
- Place falafel on absorbing kitchen paper to dry.
Eat while hot with whatever dip you have. When you are hungry even cold they are good!!