Braised Round Fillet Of Veal With Caramelised Red Onions
|Served With A Mixture Of Mashed Carrots And Potatoes.|
|Served As Cold Cuts With Just Salad|
- 1 kg Round Fillet of veal, called Noix de Veau or Νουά Μοσχάρι Γάλακτος for my Greek friends (18.50 euro per kg)
- 3 T of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- 1 clove of garlic crushed whole to be taken out later on during cooking.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 cups boiling water.
- 2 sprigs of thyme.
- Heat oil in deep sauce pan with cover, add garlic and sear meat on high heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove garlic.
- Degrease with wine.
- Wait until all the alcohol is evaporated, add boiling water, cover, lower heat to minimum and let simmer for at least one hour and check meat for tenderness if not simmer a bit longer.
- Take out meat and roll in aluminum foil and keep warm.
- Doctor your sauce by adding salt and pepper and whatever else you have on hand you would like to use. I used two sprigs of thyme.
- Thicken your sauce by adding a piece of fresh butter and /or boiling it down or what ever way you know best.\
The caramelised onions.
- 300 gr of sliced red onions.
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- 1 knob of butter.
- 2 cups of boiling water.
- Mix all ingredients together on medium heat until all water is evaporated, the onions are soft, and caramelised onions are to your liking.
- This procedure will take about 1 to 2 hours. Keep stirring every once in a while.to distribute heat equally.
- Make sure you start braising the meat and caramelising the onions simultaneously.
- Slice meat into thin slices, while pouring the clear juices into the sauce.
- Add the caramlised onions into the sauce and mix.
- Serve each slice with some caramlised onion sauce.
- Accompany with buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes and a green salad.