When tomatoes, and generally vegetable prices are low, basically during summer, it is a good idea to make a large batch of your favourite sauce and jar it in well sterilized jars for quick access. It also helps if you have basil and other herbs growing in your veranda.
- Fresh tomatoes puréed.
- Multi coloured bell peppers thinly sliced
- Onions cubed.
- Garlic passed through the press.
- Couple of handfuls of fresh basil, torn by hand.
- Salt, pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, chili.
- Some sugar to offset the tomato acidity.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat oil, stir fry onion till soft.
- Add garlic and stir till you smell that delicious aroma .
- Add pepper and stir fry till soft.
- Add tomato purée.
- Add sugar.
- Add spices.
- Boil, turn down heat to a very slow simmer stirring frequently for one hour.
- Add water if required but not too much. You need a thick sauce.
- Turn off heat when time is up.
- Fill hot sterilized jars with still hot sauce and cover immediately and reverse jar on the work table.
- Let cool till next day and make sure a vacuum has been obtained.
- Keep for a few weeks.
Enjoy when you need ready tomato sauce.