There is nothing like meatloaf, steaming hot gravy and baked potatoes on a cold day. Oh yes, autumn is here to stay for the next 2 months, the weather is quite cool outside, more so inside our home and since we are in a financial crisis, we are trying to delay central heating for as long as we can. We are using our fireplace and burning wood instead. Very cosy but we need a Christmas tree as well to go with it but by then we will have so much central heating we will be running around the house with T-shirts and shorts!
I checked and it looks like have already written about the meatloaf in my very early posts but this time I am adding pictures! Mushrooms and sweet red wine.
You will therefore need:
- 1 kg lean ground beef passed only once.
- 2 whole raw eggs.
- 6 hard boiled eggs.
- 1 big onion liquified.
- ½ cup olive oil.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
For the baked potatoes.
- 1 kg potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into ¼ inch slices.
- 1 Chili pepper cut in slices.
- 1 beef stew cub dissolved in 1 cup of water, boiled with a handful of porcini mushrooms to soften.
- ¼ cup sweet red wine.
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees C.
- Combine all the above by hand except the hard boiled eggs and the potatoes (wear a surgical glove if you wish) till you get a uniform mixture. You can taste the raw meat mixture for salt, pepper, general taste and adjust.
- In a big bowl put the sliced potatoes adding some olive oil, salt and pepper mixing with both your hands to coat all the potatoes with oil, salt and pepper.
- Surround the meatloaf with the potatoes
- Pour the cup of the dissolved beef stew cube and the mushrooms over the meat.
- Bake for 1¼ hours at 220 degrees C till the potatoes are crispy. Put a piece of aluminum foil over the meat so it does not burn.