|Rajma (Kidney Bean) Curry|
|Indian Bread(somethng between Naan, Chapati, Roti etc...)|
Just decide to go one day to Athinas street, in Athens where the central meat and fish market is, and to Evripidou street where you can find many spice shops which can supply you with any spice you want. As long as you have the basics shown in this recipe you can make your own curry. So go at it, if you live around the Athens area. By the way this Athens market area is very interesting and you can find anything you need from nuts and bolts to fresh tomatoes, eggs, and....spices. I'm you will spend one heck of day!!!
This recipe is from a youube subscription recipe program called "Show Me The Curry" . I made some minor changes according to my taste.
- 2 cups dry rajma beans (kidney beans) soaked overnight then boiled till tender.
- 1 Tbsp Oil or Butter Ghee.
- ½ tsp mustard seeds.
- 1 piece cinnamon stick.
- 1 black cardamom crushed to bring out the little seeds from inside.
- 2 green cardamom crushed to bring out the little seeds from inside.
- 5 whole cloves.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 sprig (10 curry leaves).
- ½ cup chopped onions.
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated fresh ginger root.
- 1 Tbsp garlic.
- 1-3 hot green chili (optional or to taste).
- Freshly grated tomatoes (3 big fresh) or 400 gr canned tomato pieces.
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder.
- 1 tsp cumin powder.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 Tbsp red chili to taste to taste.
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala to taste.
- 1 Tbsp water.
- Salt to taste added with the onions before stir-frying them.
- On medium heat add the mustard seeds to hot oil till they pop.
- Add cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green cardamom, whole cloves, bay leaf, curry leaves and stir for about 15 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, salt to taste, and stir-fry till they are translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chili and stir till everything is browned.
- Add tomato, stir and cook until you see the oil separating around the edges.
- Lower heat not to burn the dry spices.
- Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chili and Garam Masala and stir to catch the oil.
- Add 2 Tbsp water to wet the mixture.
- Add the strained rajma kidney beans you boiled and stir.
- Add your coconut milk and stir for one two minutes.
- If your mixture looks too dry add some of the rajma kidney beans liquid they cooked in. Stir.
- Turn off heat.
- The important thing is not to add to much liquid as I did.
· Garnish with fresh cilantro and a few drops of coconut milk.
Serve on Basmati rice or with Indian bread.
Enjoy this vegetarian meal.