Chicken Livers & Hearts With Ouzo On Leek & Carrot Rice
I guess we are trying to continue our special eating habits by putting a bit of "sex" in it. By that I mean, chicken livers/hearts with ouzo. Braise till all the alcohol is out. Leeks and carrots with rice....veggies with rice. Cheating?? maybe not. So here we go.
For the Chicken Livers & Hearts:
- 750 gm chicken liver & heart chopped.
- 4 shots of ouzo.
- 2 Anise stars
- 2 big cloves of garlic chopped small.
- 1 tsp thyme.
- 2 bay leaves.
- ¼ tsp olive oil.
- Marinate the chicken livers and hearts in 2 shots of ouzo, thyme, pepper and bay leaves for 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, strain juices heat oil, stir-fry garlic for 1 minute.
- Add chicken liver and hearts with bay leaves etc. and start cooking on high heat till browned on all sides.
- Continue cooking and stirring on high heat then add the remaining 2 shots of ouzo.
- Try to flambé. If there is no flame no sweat, continue to cook till all the alcohol is gone.
- Continue cooking till the chicken livers and hearts are tender cooked. Do not over cook the livers will become hard and dry.
- Set aside.
For the Leek and Carrot rice:
- 2 leeks thinly sliced.
- 2 long carrots thinly sliced.
- 1 ready to die tomato, we had lost somewhere in the fridge, chopped.
- 1 heaped cup of rice.
- 2 cups of boiling water.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil.
Note: We don't eat salt whenever we can help it.
- Heat oil , stir-fry leek and carrot slices till leeks are translucent.
- Add chopped dead tomato.
- Stir fry some more, add rice.
- Stir fry some more add the two cups of boiling water.
- Set your alarm to 20 minutes, cover, lower heat to minimum.
- When alarm goes off the rice is ready.
Serve the ouzo liver with hearts over the rice with some lettuce on the side.