Leek pie is a quick, easy and inexpensive vegetarian starter to make without using cheeses. All you have to do is sauté the leek, onion, scallions and parsley...
till they are well wilted add your salt and pepper, mix in a couple of eggs (optional) to tie the whole mixture together. Let cool till you line the base of a 24 cm pie dish with one sheet of puff pastry, you add the leek mixture, level then you cover with the other sheet of puff pastry. Cut into as many triangles you wish, add some milk on top for color and bake at 180 degrees C for 1 hour. That's it.
Serves 8 -16
- 5 big leeks washed well and sliced.
- ½ onion finely chopped.
- 3 scallions finely sliced.
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped.
- 2 eggs (optional).
- 2 puff pastry sheets.
- ½ cup olive oil.
- ½ cup milk.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F)
- Heat oil in a large deep pan.
- Stir fry the onion, scallion and finally the leek till they are wilted.
- Add parsley, mix.
- Let cool, add the two eggs and mix well to homogenize.
- Set aside while you line your 24 cm pie dish with one sheet of puff pastry.
- Add the pie filling. Level.
- Lay the second sheet of puff pastry and use exceeding pastry from the bottom sheet to roll to the known pie rim.
- Cut the pie with a sharp knife into 8 triangles.
- Add the milk which will enter through the slots into the pie filling and stay on top of the pie to give a nice color when baked.
- Bake for 20 minutes in lowest shelf of the oven, then 40 minutes in the center shelf. The pie must be well cooked from below.
- Take out when time, and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Now the pie will be easy to cut into 8 nice, clean triangles without breaking the pastry.
Serve as a starter or as a main dish with salad on the side.