Fava With Sardines On Corn Bread Cakes
Fava is a Greek word meaning the yellow machine cut bean. It does not need to be soaked overnight in water. It can be boiled for a maximum of 45 minutes with enough water to cover it by 3 cm when cold. Be careful to take off the foam when it start boiling.Once the fava beans are boiled to the soup consistency, you can take it one step further by letting more liquid evaporate leaving the fava beans "nearly" dry but NOT COMPLETELY DRY. You would want to keep just enough fluid in there so when you purée it with the vertical hand mixer, the outcome would be a thick, yet slightly fluid, purée.
The way to eat it is as follows: it is usually served with either chopped dill or parsley, lemon, spring onion. and olive oil. Take a slice, spread it on toasted bread, add lemon juice, some dill or parsley, a piece of spring onion, grind some black pepper, pour some olive oil on top of everything and it is delicious.
By the way this is a perfectly delicious, and healthy VEGETARIAN soup, dip, or in a mold.
Your will need:
For a dinner party of 12.
- 500 gms of out of the pack fave beans.
- Use water instead of the chicken or meat broth for vegetarian.
- 1 Tbsp oregano.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion chopped.
- 1 bunch parsley or dill to garnish.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Paprika or Chili optional.
- Boil fava in enough cold water to cover it by 3 cm.
- Depending on what you want to do with it, leave enough water inside.
- If you want to make soup leave enough water to make it soupy.
- If you want to make a dip out of it, then leave less water to be able to blend it into puré then doctor it according to your taste and imagination.
- If you want to make a mold out it, then you have to boil it down to practically no water, just enough to make a thick fluid when blend.
- Add the cooked fava bean to the sautéed onions, simmer till fava is fully cooked.
- Completely purée the fava then put into a mould.
- Garnish as desired with dill or parsley and scallions