|Photo Courtesy Of Wikipedia|
- 7 slices of 2-3 days old bread without the outer crust OR 2 medium well boiled potatoes.
- 200 gms of fish roe Tarama (the red not the white).
- 2 Tbsp. crushed, smashed onion turned into a paste.
- 1½ cups of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- 3 finely sliced spring onions.
The bread way;
- Soak the bread in some water. When it is well soaked, squeeze all the water out.
- Put the Tarama in a mortar and grind into a paste with the pestle.
- Add squashed onion and continue to grind while adding a drizzle of olive oil.
- While working the mixture, add some bread then some oil and continue grinding.
- Continue the above step until you have used up all the bread.
- Still grinding add some lemon (but not all) keep grinding until the acidity is acceptable to your taste.
- All the above steps can be made using the blender. Just add all ingredients and mix. Then add the oil slowly to your taste.
- All this preparation must be done quickly. You want to end up with a thick,and creamy paste.
The potato way:
- Instead of the bread you can use 2 medium well boiled potatoes.If the Taramo-Salata comes out too thick, you can add some soda water. The carbon dioxide in the water will make it fluffy and creamy.
Whichever way you make the Taramo-Salata, you can add a handful of chopped nuts, a couple of olives and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil at the end before serving.