Fava bean soup is very good for the health. When served hot it warms you up specially during cold, windy early Spring days. We tend sometime to eat rich foods with too many calories and therefore it is good to eat lean for a change.
I would like to share with you today the fava bean soup. Many restaurants here in Athens, offer fava as a solid mass you can cut with a knife, delicious mind you, but cannot be eaten as a meal by itself. It is usually presented with other "meze" .
For this soup you will need:
- 1 big onion finely chopped.
- 1/2 Tbsp. dry thyme.
- 1 Tbsp. Ciboulette (Chives)
- Boil Fava beans in lots of water till they are cooked and water has evaporated just to cover the fava.
- Add the 2 cubes dissolved in little water from the pot.
- If the water has evaporated and the fava is not yet soft, add some meat broth if you have any on hand or just water and continue to simmer.
- While simmering add the oil, the thyme, onion, chives, salt and pepper and continue to simmer till the fava is completely done. Turn heat off.
- Let cool, blend with vertical hand blender to a smooth soup. If too thick add just enough hot broth or water to make it fluid.
- Serve hot even if you have to give it another boil.
- Serve with croutons.