Oven roasted chicken with orzo is a typical Greek home dish. Nothing fancy just chicken and orzo. But the secret is how is this done....
Ingredients for 6:
- 1 whole chicken skin on 1 kg 800 gr.
- 10 sprigs of rosemary.
- 2 T olive oil.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
Ingredients for the orzo:
- 1 litre of water.
- 500 gr of orzo.
- 10 slices of dried porcini mushrooms cut by scissors into small bits.
- 1 whole piment d'Espelette also cut by scissors into fine strips.
- 3 T tomato paste or concentrate or pure.
- Small glass of red whine.
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Place your chicken in a baking dish, brush with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with pepper and rosemary every where even in the chicken cavity.
- Roast for half an hour breast down.
- Roast for another half hour breast up.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked by inserting the meat thermometer in the thigh not touching the bone should be over 74 degrees Celsius.
- Take out from oven.
Method for orzo:
- Bring 1 liter of water to a boil, add the porcini mushrooms, piment d'Espelette, red wine. tomato concentrate, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- As soon as the chicken is ready, bring out from oven add the raw orzo around the chicken and pour in the liquid mixture.
- Return into the oven, turn off the heat, and let the orzo absorb the liquid letting it cook for about 15 to 20 minutes .
You can add grated cheese on the orzo if you wish