Curried Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans In Mexican)
I don't believe anyone has ever shown you guys a picture such as the above. Well sometimes I'm nuts! The darn dish was so good, that we ate it all in a hurry before I could take a picture of it. At least you can see what colour it was!....
We try not to eat bread with our meals or else you would not have even seen the color!! It would have been wiped clean.
This dish is definitely Vegan. Boiled chick peas or garbanzo as they are called in Mexico, olive oil, onion and spices. That is all!
Today is Saturday, the day Maria and I usually go to the market for our weekly supplies, Don't forget we are both pensioners. I went alone this time because Maria has a cold. However, she did the most important step to this dish: when I got home she had already boiled the overnight soaked chick peas. It took 30 minutes to cook them, meaning that some kind of planning was made the night before.
- 300 gr dry chick peas soaked in lots of water overnight. We rarely buy any canned stuff in Greece.
- 1 medium onion finely chopped.
- 1 T olive oil.
- A pinch of oregano.
- 3-4 T medium hot ready mixed good quality curry powder.
- 1/2 T turmeric.
- 1/2 T ginger powder.
- 1/2 T freshly ground cumin.
- 3-4 ladles from the water the chick peas were boiling in.
- 1 T corn flour dissolved in a little water.
- Boil chick peas in lots of water till tender. Make sure you throw away the water the chick peas were soaking in and rinse. Boiling time differs from quality to quality.
- Use your strongest flame to the full for the steps below.
- Using a wok or a karahi heat oil till nearly smoking stir in your onion till soft.
- Add the oregano and stir you should hear the "Tshhhhhh".
- Add the chick peas and stir fry for a minute maximum.
- Add the chick pea water. Stir. You have to hear that " Tshhhhhh" sound again.
- Add curry, turmeric ginger, and cumin and stir very well to blend spices.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or just long enough to obtain the quantity of sauce required.
- Add the corn flour dissolved in water to thicken sauce.
- Turn off heat and serve hot.
- Serve chick peas over any kind of rice.
- Over pasta.
- Use as a side dish.
- Use chicken, meat or fish with it.
Enjoy this healthy meal.