Broccoli Cauliflower Rigatoni Casserole
Casseroles are usually very welcome during cold days of winter. When you have some left overs in your fridge such as small quantities of certain vegetables, grated cheese, or cut pasta (not spaghetti) in your pantry, they could be used to make up a casserole......
I used steamed broccoli and cauliflower, rigatoni pasta, bacon, bechamel sauce made with olive oil instead of butter (who would say). The result was delicious.
- 250 gr broccoli florets steamed al dente.
- 250 gr cauliflower florets steamed al dente.
- 250 gr rigatoni boiled very al dente.
- 6 slices smoked bacon finely chopped.
- 100 gr flour.
- 100 gr olive oil.
- 1 litre milk.
- 1 t turmeric.
- 1 cup panko Japanese bread crumbs.
- 1/3 cup water to wet the panko to spread over the bechamel.
- 1 t smoked paprika for the pasta.
- 1 cup grated hard cheese.
- Steam cauliflower florets for 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets to the above for a further 10 minutes.
- Boil rigatoni for 7 minutes, strain, add smoked paprika and stir well to disperse colour.
- Make a bechamel sauce with the flour, olive oil (instead of butter), and one litre of milk. Add the turmeric for flavour and beautiful pale yellow colour.
- Mix cauliflower, broccoli, pasta, cheese, in a large casserole.
- Add bechamel and make sure it is mixed in the above.
- Top with the wet panko.
- Bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees Celsius.
- The result is a crumble top with a beautiful colour.
Serve hot and enjoy.