Stuffed Mammoth Zucchini Vegan Style
Till I reached home I knew exactly what I was going to do. Here goes,
for four persons as a starter or for two as a meal.
- 2 Zucchini weighing about 1/2 kg each.
- 2 cups minced soya.
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth.
- 500 gm tomato pieces in juice.
- 1 big onion finely chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 1/2 bunch celery chopped.
- 3 carrots finely chopped.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- A large pinch of oregano.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the zucchini in half length wise.
- Scooop out the flesh out using a spoon and keep in separate bowl.
- In the mean time get your cous-cous apparatus out and fill bottom part with three inches of water.
- Cover with strainer and cover that and bring to a boil
- Place the four scooped out zucchini pirogues and steam till cooked " al dente ".
- Take out from cous cous apparatus and place on baking dish.
- Fill each pirogue with kithen paper to absorb extra liquid from the half cooked zucchini shells.
- Start your sauce by making a nice sofrito of the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Add salt, pepper,
- Add the soya mince and stir fry till a mixture is obtained.
- Add four cups of hot water or vegetable broth.
- Add the tomato pieces and juice. Mix.
- Add the scooped up zucchini flesh to the sauce.
- Bring to a boil turn down heat, cover and simmer till all the juices are gone. This will be the filling for the zucchini.
- Finally add the oregano and mix.
- By now the zucchini boats should be dry.
- Fill each boat with the soya sauce.
- Cover with panco Japanese bread crums which should be sprayed with water to wet.
- Bake till a nice brown color is obtained.
Bring out from the oven, let cool and enjoy as a starter or a whole meal if for two persons. (two each).