Leek and Pumpkin Tart....This Is Pumpkin Everything Time Now!!
We've had leek pie before in my previous posts. This time we shall add pumpkin and see how it goes. Bear with me...
For the Filling:
- 800 gm leeks medium slices.
- 400 gm pumpkin sliced
- 6 scallions sliced.
- 1 bunch fresh dill finely chopped.
- No garlic.
- No salt just pepper to taste.
- Some olive oil to sautee the leeks and pumpkin.
For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 50 gr all purpose flour.
- 50 gr good quality fresh butter.
- 500 ml low fat milk.
- Some nutmeg, and some garlic powder.
For the Crust:
- 200 gr all purpose flour.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 gr very cold good quality fresh butter cut in cubes.
- 1 big egg beaten.
- 1 Tbsp ice water.
- 1/4 cup cumin SEEDS.
- Sautee leeks and scallions till soft and transparent. Set aside.
- Sautee pumpkin very quickly for a short time because they cook very quickly and let out liquids.Set aside.
- Combine both of the above and mix very well.
- Add chopped dill and mix. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt, in a blender flat paddle giving them a couple of turns on 1
- Add butter and blend till the flour and butter look like grains of sand.
- Add beaten egg and blend.
- Add 1 Tbsp ice cold water.
- Blend till a soft dough is formed.
- Add cumin seed until it is all combined with the dough.
- Transfer to your floured working surface and knead for a few minutes.
- Make a ball, then flatten from the top to form a thick disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan combine flour and stir to incorporate the four into the butter.
- Keep stirring for a few minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the milk slowly while stirring.
- When all the milk is added, keep stirring and if it is balled, use your hand held stand-up blender to disperse the lumps till your bechamel is soft, creamy and thick.
- Add pepper, garlic, and nutmeg powder to taste. Set aside.
Making the Pie:
- Use a 28 cm tart mould with a retrievable bottom.
- Open your dough to a 33 cm diameter on a 33 cms diameter oven paper.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the 33 cm diameter dough which will cover the whole pie.
- Using the palm of your hand press the bottom and sides of the mould to well line the bottom and sides of the mould.
The dough will be filled with cumin seeds which will enhance the overall taste of the tart and prevent the bottom of the tart of getting soggy due to the pumpkin.
- Add the filling and level.
- Add the bechamel and level.
- Bake for 1 hour on 180 degrees Celsius. The first 30 minutes in the lower third of the oven, and the rest of the time on the upper third of the oven till a nice color appears.
- When time is up test with tester if it comes out dry, you are done.
- Take out from oven and let cool for at least half an hour otherwise it is unpleasantly hot.
Serve on a nice platter, with a salad on the side.