I have already spoken to you my friends regarding Omega 3 and how essential it is for your health. Well today we are having sardines but in a different way...
Our supermarket sells frozen whole sardines which, when thawed, smell as if they came out of the sea at that moment!! To the point that when handled to clean, for me at least, is a pleasure to smell my hands just as if I fished them myself!!
Let me share with you a nice and quick way to prepare them in a different manner than last time.
- 1 Pack of whole, frozen sardines about 18 to 19 pieces thawed.
- 200 gr from a carton of grated tomato.
- 1 tsp sugar.
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped.
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped onion.
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves finely chopped.
- 2 pinches of oregano.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- A pinch of hot cayenne if you wish.
- Clean sardines by tearing off their heads together with their insides.
- With your thumb open their belly and wash well under running water.
- Close sardine as it was. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in non stick pan, stir fry onion till transparent, add garlic, stir fry as well but just barely.
- Add grated fresh tomato with juices and all.
- Add the tsp of sugar.
- Add the oregano.
- Stir well.
- Cover and simmer at minimum heat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully add sardines one by one so they don't break.
- Add the chopped basil.
- Add your salt, pepper and cayenne (if you wish).
- Cover and simmer at minimum heat for 10 minutes.
Serve with your favorite pasta.