Curried String Beans With Soy Pieces
Soy pieces can definitely take the place of meat, specially when they are the size you see in the picture. Perfectly vegetarian and healthy. Including string beans gives us the extra vitamins needed and the addition of a curry sauce gives a little "kick" to the whole dish. Here is how:
- 500 gr frozen string beans thawed.
- 120 gr soy pieces.
- 2 -3 cups of water or broth.
- 1 big onion thinly sliced.
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- 3 tsp. medium heat ready mixed curry powder bought from a Pakistani, Indian or any store specialized in spices.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Tbsp corn starch dissolved in about ½ cup cold water to thicken sauce.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Stir fry onions till they are transparent.
- Add garlic and stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add curry powder and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the soy and let it soak up liquid to soften. Maybe you will need the third cup it depends how much sauce you want to make.
- Add string beans and bring to a boil, reduce heat to minimum and let simmer for 5 minutes. The string beans must remain crunchy.
- At this point add the dissolved corn starch and stir till sauce thickens to your taste.
Serve on semolina cakes (previous recipe), rice, or mashed potatoes.