You will need:
- 1.2 kg of potatoes, sliced medium ¼ inch thick.
- 500 gr milk
- 200 gr fresh cream 35%
- ½ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg.
- 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped.
- 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Peel, wash from dirt, the potatoes.
- Slice potatoes ¼ inch without any further washing (they must keep their starch).
- In a saucepan add the garlic and the butter and stir fry till the beautiful aroma of garlic is obtained.
- Add milk, cream and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil and add potato slices.
- Simmer for ½ hour. The potatoes will spill their starch to the milk/cream mixture and you will end up with a creamy thickish fluid and the potatoes will be al dente.
- Brush some butter on the bottom and sides of a casserole and throw the potatoes in and bake for at least ½ an hour to finish the cooking and obtain the color you like.
- Bring out the casserole from the oven and let cool at least half an hour before serving, the dish must be just warm.