So we have finally decided, at the end of summer, to invest in buying a small ice cream machine. Home made ice cream, if consumed wisely is definitely healthier apart from all the eggs, the cream and the sugar!
Maria will now share with you a home made vanilla ice cream with a mixed wild berry sauce inspired by her favorite pastry master chef Stelios Parliaros. (Another Stelios!)
You will need:
Serves 4 about 10 scoops.
For the ice cream:
- 6 egg yolks.
- 350 gr full fat milk.
- 150 gr fresh cream 35%.
- 130 gr sugar.
- ½ tsp. vanilla.
- Combine egg yolks with sugar and mix using a spatula.
- In a saucepan mix milk, cream and heat till temperature reaches 35 degrees C. At that point throw in the egg/sugar mixture and mix till the temperature reaches 83 to 85 degrees C not more because the eggs will start cooking on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add vanilla, mix, pour into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- If you intend to have the ice cream for lunch next day, half-way through the meal, turn on the ice cream machine then pour in the ice cream mix. Ten to fifteen minutes later it is ready.
- The base of this ice cream is the "crème Anglaise" .
- If you wish to use a fresh fruit such as strawberries, mango, banana, guava, passion fruit, kiwi etc. you can do so by adding 400 gr after the basic ice cream mix has been sitting in the fridge overnight.
- Put the ice cream serving bowls in the freezer before you serve the ice cream.
- Make sure to mix well the egg mix with milk mix not to have any formed balls. If you do get balls then use your vertical hand mixer to disperse them before you refrigerate.
For the wide berry sauce:
- 250 gr of mixed wild berries frozen.
- 25 gr sugar.
- Blend to liquify then boil for 3 minutes.
Serve the sauce over the vanilla ice cream.