Meat Pie I........For Lunch Break / Nibble
|Fig.1 Puff Pastry Below And Above|
Meat Pie Filling In Between
|Fig.2 Meat Pie Cut Before Baking|
Top of Meat Pie brushed With
Egg, Black Pepper, Sesame Seed
for Garnish And Beautiful Color.
|Fig.3 Meat Pea Ready|
- 1 kg puff pastry divided into two pieces 500 gms each.
- 1 kg of ground beef, thickly ground.
- 6 eggs beaten
- 500 gms of thickly grated feta, goat cheese, or any other cheese of your choice. It does not need to melt.
- 2 medium onions finely chopped.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil (prefer Greek extra virgin Kalamata olive oil).
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill, parsley or celery leaves finely chopped.
- Salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder if you wish.
- Heat frying pan with olive oil add onions and fry till soft.
- Add ground meat and fry together with onion till cooked, add some garlic powder if you wish, the dill, parsley or cellery, mix well and let it cool.
- When cool, add beaten eggs, the cheese, then add the whole lot to the ground beef. Mix, well. Set aside.
N.B. You are letting the ground beef cool before you add the eggs to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Brush oil on the bottom and sides of a rectangular or whatever baking dish you have, lay one of the puff pastry sheets. If necesssary extend the pastry with a rolling pin, to cover the sides.
- Put the pie filling and cover with the second piece of puff pastry. Roll both layers by hand together as in Fig.1. to seal.
- Brush one beaten egg on all the surface of the pie, sprinkle some sesame seed, and some freshly ground pepper. Fig. 2
- Bake for 30 minutes in pre-heated oven to 200 degrees C in the middle shelf. Then lower pie to the lowest shelf for another 30 minutes to make sure it cooks from the bottom as well.
- Make sure the pie has a nice brown color, and take out from the oven. Fig.3
- Let it cool at least 15 minutes before serving. In fact this meat pie is equally delicious cold out of the fridge.
- Refrigerate for two days maximum.