Lemon Pound Cake With Lemon Icing.
A most straight forward cake, called pound cake in the olden days because a pound of this and a pound of that were added to make it when you want to have some cake with your morning coffee or in the afternoon.
- 500 gr self raising flour.
- 250 gr fresh butter at room temperature.
- 400 gr caster sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature..
- 260 ml cold milk.
- Zest of one big lemon.
- 1 t pure liquid vanilla extract.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line two oblong molds with wet baking paper. This will avoid you having to brush the molds with butter.
- Beat butter at medium speed.
- Start adding sugar slowly and the eggs one by one.
- Beat mixture for 3 minutes.
- Start adding the self raising flour alternating with the milk and then the lemon zest while beating slowly.
- Beat a minute more, then mix all your mixing bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Pour equally in your molds.
- Bake for one hour or till a wooden pick comes out dry when piercing the centre.
- Let cool.
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sieved.
- 2 T lemon juice.
- Mix above two products until they are mixed. Play around with the powdered sugar and the lemon juice quantities to obtain the consistency you like.
- Spread over cool cake.
Enjoy! And do not eat it all at once! Because we have a tendency to do just that!!