Sweet Red Pepper Sauce With Piment D'Espelette... A Multi Functional Sauce.
Sweet Red Pepper Sauce With Piment d'Espelette
It is always handy to have a ready sauce which can be used hot or cold especially when it is made with olive oil....
It is very useful because it can used hot or cold, on plain bread, over boiled chicken, or hot over spaghetti if you wish. I have already given this recipe before but this time I am adding piment d'Espelette sent to me by courier by a friend living in the south western region of France very near the town of Espelette in the Basque region. Oh yes! I'm crazy about peppers. So here goes:
- 3 big Florina peppers diced discarding seeds.
- ½ mediium onion diced.
- 3 cloves garlic passed through the garlic press.
- ¼ cup olive oil.
- ½ piment d'Espelette very thinly cut using a pair of kitchen scissors.
- 3 tomatoes grated.
- Some left over leek bits I had in the fridge. You can do without.
- 2 cups of hot water.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add onion and stir-fry till transparent.
- Add garlic and stir-fry till very slightly browned. (This step will give the sauce and special taste which I like). Of course it is optional.
- Add peppers and piment d'Espelette mix.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to minimum and and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes.
That's it. You can use right there and then hot or leave to cool before refrigerating.