|Pie not yet cooked.|
Here is a very nice savory pie you can make when invited to some friends house (such as a New Year's Eve dinner party) and you would like to take something made by you. It is very presentable and light. I have taken this recipe from my friend Paola Collengui, of Zenzero e Limone a blogger with www.giallozafferano.it. She takes all the credit. Nothing wrong in copying another person's recipe as long as you mention his name and give him credit for it. Only in this case there will be a change in the styling of the pie because it is not the season for zucchini flowers. So this pie will decorated with something different....we shall see when the time comes.....
- 1 roll of shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée) ready made from the supermarket.
- 600 gr fresh zucchini.
- 1 small onion finely chopped.
- Some olive oil.
- 1 whole egg.
- 30 gr cottage cheese.
- 40 gr Parmesan cheese grated.
- 100 gr Brie cheese cut in slices.
- 6 zucchini flowers if in season if not 1 red sweet pepper roasted and soft cut in long pieces.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Slice the zucchini using the mandolin into semi thin slices very quickly.
- Heat pan with oil with finely chopped onion.
- Stir fry onion with the zucchini until the zucchini are cooked but still crunchy.
- Add, whole egg, parmesan, cottage cheeses, salt and pepper to taste in a mixer and beat.
- Add the zucchini and beat together until everything is a puré.
- Set aside.
- Line a 24 cm detachable base pie mold with the ready made shortcrust pastry.
|This is a home made shortcrust made with whole wheat flour|
- Punch holes in the base using a fork.
- Add the zucchini mixture and spread evenly.
- Add Brie cheese thin slices evenly all over the pie.
- With spoon immerse them into the puré and cover.
- At this point add the zucchini flowers starting from the center going outwards or add the sweet red pepper strips from the center going outwards.
- Bake for 35 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C. Make sure the rim does not burn by adding a rim of aluminum foil (need be).
- Let cool slightly and serve.
Enjoy Hot, warm or cold...they are equally nice.
New Year's Eve 2013 - 2014