Autumn is the time for mushrooms so we will be proposing lots of mushroom ideas. One of these is the following where I have chosen to separate the porcini mushrooms, once boiled, from their juice and by using the juice to prepare the rice, and the mushrooms themselves to make the sauce for the boiled chicken and rice. I would like to emphasize the fact that one whole chicken has been boiled in water in a pressure cooker first and then used the broth to make the sauce and to cook the rice in.
For the Chicken:
- 1 Whole skinless chicken .
- 3 Carrots peeled and left whole.
- 1 Big onion quartered.
- 2 Bay leaves.
- ½ Bunch celery leaves roughly chopped.
- Pressure cooker.
- Tap water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For the Rice:
- 2½ cups parboiled rice.
- 3¾ cups chicken broth including the porcini juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup all purpose flour.
- ¼ cup butter.
- 1 clove garlic very finely chopped.
- 2-3 cups of chicken broth depending how thick you like your sauce to be.
- 50 gr porcini mushrooms already boiled, drained from their juice.
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
For the boiled Chicken:
- First thing in the morning, prepare your chicken:
- Wash chicken under the tap.
- Put it in a pressure cooker and add water just to cover it.
- Add onions, carrots and celery leaves.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Close lid and count 20 minutes from the time the pressure cooker starts to boil.
- Lower heat to minimum and let cook.
Note: The reason we put so much water is that we need the broth for various other recipes.
- When time is up turn off heat. Do not open lid. Just let the pressure cooker cool and go about your other business if you need to go out or anything. When you come back and ready to serve lunch, it just takes 20 minutes to cook the rice, boil the mushrooms, make the sauce and wash the stuff you have used until now!
For the rice:
- Since rice takes 20 minutes to cook, boil your mushrooms in a cup of water.
- Once boiled, drain, and add to the broth where the rice will be cooked.
- Bring liquid to a boil
- Add whatever salt and pepper you need.
- Add your rice.
- Cover and turn heat to a minimum and start counting 20 minutes.
- When 20 minutes are finished turn off heat. Keep cover on do not open to check how the rice is.
For the sauce:
- Melt butter and add garlic. Stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and saute for another minute or so.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Start adding the broth and stirring till you obtain the quantity and thickness of the sauce you like.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
So by now you have your boiled chicken kept nice and hot in the preheated oven to 100 degrees C.
your rice is ready, and your sauce is also ready.
All you need to do now is to serve and enjoy by pouring some sauce with mushrooms over the chicken, and the rice.