Bacalao With Za'atar, Jalapeño Peppers, Garlic,Cilantro & Olive Oil
Bacalao known as Cod in English, is one of the tastiest fish existing in the seas and oceans of mother Earth. Bacalao is not only very much eaten by the P.I.G.S. (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain) but also in France and the United Kingdom.
Bacalao or the Atlantic Cod is easily distinguished from most other marine fish by its three rounded dorsal fins and two anal fins that are mirror images of the second and third dorsals.
It also has a prominent barbel ("whisker") on the chin. The Atlantic cod occasionally reach lengths in excess of 5 to 6 feet and lives in about 300 feet of water. Bacalao does not travel in schools but in small groups when searching for food.
Bacalao is healthy, has no fat, and 93% protein http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4045/2. We all remember the Cod liver oil our mothers used to give us to make us strong!
Baked Bacalao is very easy and quick to make because your basic fish patty is ready. All you have to do is put the various herbs and spices you want and off into the oven.
- About 1.2 kg of frozen Bacalao patties thawed and have the extra water squeezed out of them.
- 1 Jalapeño pepper very thinly sliced, seeds discarded (optional).
- ½ bunch cilantro finely chopped.
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- Olive oil as needed.
- 1 Tbsp of Za'atar
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a small pan.
- Add some of the garlic and cilantro and stir fry for a couple of minutes until the beautiful aroma of garlic fills the air. Set aside.
- Lay the Bacalao patties side by side on a baking dish lined with oven proof paper.
- Sprinkle the Za'atar on the patties.
- Spoon some of the garlic cilantro from the pan on each patty.
- Bake in a preheated 180 degree C oven for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle some of the uncooked cilantro and garlic over bacalao.
Serve with a green salad