A False Lasagna...A Miscalculation....Interesting Outcome!!
Maria loves lasagna!! For today Sunday I promised her lasagna al pesto which she loves...Since we are not eating pasta made out of wheat flour anymore, our pantry had some pasta left. I was sure we had a whole box of lasagna (500 gms) . When it was time to make the lasagna I saw I only had 5 sheets of lasagna but I had a whole box of canneloni!! Since I could not go back on my word, I used the canneloni as well. This, guys, might happen to you someday (when you get old like me). So this is what I did....
Ingredients for a false lasagna:
- 500 gr of canneloni.
- 5 sheets of lasagna.
- 230 gr grated mozzarella cheese.
For the Pesto:
- 1 big handful of fresh basil leaves.
- 3 cloves of garlic.
- 100 gms of grated parmesan cheese.
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 50 gr pine nuts.
For the béchamel sauce:
- 1 liter of milk.
- 100 gr of butter.
- 50 gr flour.
- Pinch of lavender.
- Large pinch of nutmeg.
- Salt and white pepper to taste.
* For the pesto:
- Put the washed basil leaves into a multi mixer.
- Add the cloves of garlic.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the pine nuts.
- Add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Blitz enough times to render the pesto as fluid as possible. set aside.
* For the béchamel sauce:
- Melt the butter.
- Add the flour.
- Stir for 1 minute or so till butter and flour are well mixed and the flour is slightly cooked.
- Start adding the milk slowly and keep stirring.
- Having added the milk, add the lavender, nutmeg, salt and pepper and keep stirring until you obtain the required consistency.(It should be on the fluid side)
- Set asside.
Putting the dish together:
- Use a 25 x 35 cm non stick oven dish.
- Add some béchamel sauce to cover bottem.
- Lay all the canneloni.
- Pour béchamel sauce over them.
- Pour half the pesto to cover.
- Sprinkle half of mozzarella cheese to cover.
- Lay the 5 sheets of lasagna you have.
- Cover with the remaining béchamel, pesto, and grated cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C with air till you obtain a beautiful color on the surface of the lasagna and all the béchamel is absored.
- Let stand for about 20 minutes to cool.
- Serve with an iceberg lettuce, cherry tomato, rocket salad.
Believe me, I really got myself out of hot spot!!! There was no difference, really, for everyday food.