Today we have a surprise sweet and a grilled Mediterranean style chicken to share with you:
You will need:
- 1 Chicken, skin on to keep moist while grilling.(you should promise to take it off before eating). It weighs 1.7 kg (3.7 lbs).
- 1 big onion.
- 1 Tbsp. Za'atar. If you don't have Za'atar then a mixute of dry oregano, dry thyme and fresh Basil would do.
- 1 ripe tomato.
- salt and pepper.
- 1 chili finely cut with the kitchen scisors.
- Olive oil.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- Combine onion, tomato, oil, lemon, some water, Za'atar or (a mixture of the thyme, oregano, and basil), and the chili in a blender and pulse the ingredients until they are coarsly chopped not liquified.
- Cut the chicken from one side only. I chose the sternum (breast side) because it is easier.
- Open it flat, turn it so the inside faces you. Add salt, pepper and half the chopped onion etc., spread evenly over the surface.
- Overturn the chicken (still flat) and add salt and pepper and the rest of the marinade.
- Marinate for 2 to 3 hours before grilling.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate.
- In the meantime light your charcoal, and when it is ready and grey, spread the charcoal, lift the grill to be at its highest level, put the chicken (which you have trapped in a had held grill to made overturning easy) and cover. All vents half open.(front, back and top).
- Overturn every 15 minutes basting with marinade juices. Since the chicken is heavy, it will probably need 1 hour to 1 hour and half to cook all the way through. After one hour check for doneness.
- There is no way a normal chicken weight can be fully cooked in under one hour. Our chicken of 1.7 kg took 1¾ hours overturning every 15 minutes.
- When cooked cut into the pieces and serve.
Enjoy Grilling while drinking beer or what ever else you enjoy, (I'm having a gin and tonic!!)